[Athen] Accommodations for Blind/Low Vision Computing Student - re Diagrams in Exams

John Gardner john.gardner at viewplus.com
Mon Jan 29 10:31:45 PST 2024

Nix, as a Physics Professor Emeritus, I am appalled at the idea of exemptions for diagrams. As founder of ViewPlus, a company dedicated to graphics access, I know how to “make graphics accessible” as well as almost anybody on earth. Most people on this list use ViewPlus products, but I suspect that many do not know the full range of possibilities. Let me just list a couple that seem most relevant to your question.

* Since your student has useful vision, the very simplest (and, assuming it works for her/him, therefore probably best) solution is just to make an SVG copy of the diagram, let the student open it in a web browser and use SVG zoom and or screenreader zoom to view it. If needed, tactile copies of the (zoomed or not) SVG can be printed with any ViewPlus embosser. A really good experience would be for someone to add a useful title and description to the SVG, which can be read by the screenreader. As a blind person, the only software apps that can do this and are accessible to me are the ViewPlus IVEO Creator and Transformer applications. These are overkill for just making the accessible SVG, so I am sure others on this list can give alternatives.
* The ViewPlus IVEO system seems to be a big secret in this country, but it could work well for this student, particularly if no tactile copy is needed. IVEO authoring software creates/converts an SVG and allows authors to add titles and descriptions to anything on the image. These can be read by someone with useful vision just by clicking on the object. SVG text is also audio-accessible by clicking on it. Of course it all works well for tactile copy as well, but tactile copy is needed only if vision is really inadequate.
Hope these are helpful. Feel free to contact me for more info.

John Gardner
President, ViewPlus (an associate member of ATHEN)