[Biostudent] FW: Friday Harbor Labs Spring '23 Applications Open!

biolprog at uw.edu biolprog at uw.edu
Mon Nov 7 15:04:07 PST 2022

Subject: Friday Harbor Labs Spring '23 Applications Open!

I'm happy to announce that the Friday Harbor Labs (FHL) Spring 2023 course applications are now open! You can apply at this link. <https://fhl.uw.edu/courses/applying-for-an-fhl-course/> If you aren't familiar with FHL already, we are UW's satellite marine research station and we host field-based courses in spring, autumn, and summer. That's right--you can spend 10 weeks on our 500 acre wooded shoreline campus getting your hands dirty while learning marine science and conducting your own research project!

Our Spring 2023 quarter features:

* Our Spring Marine Studies program <https://fhl.uw.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2022/11/FHL-SPR23-SMS-Flyer.jpg> offers several courses at the 100-300 level to choose from, including courses on introductory biology, natural history of the Salish Sea, indigenous and environmental history of the Salish Sea, marine mammals of the Salish Sea, and science writing.
* At the 400 level, you can take our Zoo-Bot program <https://fhl.uw.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2022/11/FHL-SPR23-ZooBot-Flyer.jpg> , which is 16 credits worth of courses that will teach you the hands-on fundamentals of Zoology and Botany in this region while you design and conduct your own research project. Students in this program may be eligible for Mary Gates Endowment Scholarship.

You can find more details for all of our courses on our Course Description page <https://fhl.uw.edu/courses/course-descriptions/> .

Note on DEI, Accessibility, and Financial Aid: FHL is committed to DEI and values applicants hailing from diverse backgrounds and experiences. All FHL courses require fieldwork to some extent, which can be challenging for individuals with certain disabilities. If you're unsure about applying due to a disability, contact FHL's Academic Services Manager, Mason Wiley (masonfhl at uw.edu <mailto:masonfhl at uw.edu> ) to discuss accommodation options. FHL has financial aid opportunities <https://fhl.uw.edu/courses/financial-aid/> specifically for students taking our courses. You will find a section of the application where you can let us know what your needs are.
--

Mason Wiley (he/him)

Academic Services Manager

UW Friday Harbor Labs