[Biostudent] SURE-EH Paid Undergraduate Student Research Position Available

biolprog at uw.edu biolprog at uw.edu
Mon Oct 3 09:40:19 PDT 2022

The Supporting Undergraduate Research Experiences in Environmental Health
(SURE-EH) program provides up to two years of hourly employment to UW
undergraduates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to conduct
research in areas relevant to the environmental health sciences and the
mission of the
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.niehs.nih.gov/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!i2Tbn
S3vLLr8COusaH9W3cooFSdsNxafWj6PqpjsdVikjpQofVgxix7GPuLYR4X6aPz5QAh-ub5X5w$>
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences [niehs.nih.gov].

Students accepted into the program will work alongside faculty and research
staff in the School of Public Health's Department of Environmental and
Occupational Health Science (DEOHS). Student researchers will be eligible
for up to 2 years of funding: full-time (up to 40 hours) during summer and
part-time (up to 15 hours) during the academic year.

We are currently looking for an undergraduate student to work on the
following research project:

Project # 1: Methods for enrichment and sequencing of antibiotic resistance
genes in environmental samples

issues in global public health. AMR is most commonly studied through
clinical isolates, yet many microorganisms are not culturable and
non-pathogenic microorganisms carrying resistance also pose a threat.
Metagenomic sequencing, or sequencing all DNA in a sample, is a promising
tool for detection of antibiotic resistance genes (ARGs) but lacks
sensitivity. We are seeking a motivated undergraduate to assist in the
development of targeted sequencing laboratory methods for antibiotic
resistance genes and develop pipelines to analyze targeted sequencing data.
We aim to develop methods that are sensitive enough to detect low abundance
resistance genes in complex environmental samples. The student will gain
experience in PCR and long-read nanopore sequencing. In addition, they will
have the opportunity to learn how to analyze sequencing data using python,
R, and bash. The student will be mentored by Dr. Erica Fuhrmeister
<https://deohs.washington.edu/faculty/erica-fuhrmeister> with an emphasis
on developing their own independent project.

Desired qualifications: Undergraduate coursework in microbiology. Coursework
in computer science and experience in programming using bash and python a
plus.

. Learn more about SURE-EH and eligibility requirements on our website:
http://deohs.washington.edu/funded-research-uw-undergraduates

. Learn about our current open positions and gain access to the application
here: http://deohs.washington.edu/apply-
<http://deohs.washington.edu/apply-sure-eh> sure-eh

SURE-EH will be accepting applications to the program Monday, October 3 -
Thursday, October 13, 2022 at 11:00pm

Questions? Please contact <mailto:sure at uw.edu> sure at uw.edu

Mary Saucier

Program Coordinator

Department of Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences

M/F: teleworking, 8:30a - 5:00p
Tu/Wed/Thur: on-campus, 8:30a - 5:00p

saucier at uw.edu <mailto:saucier at uw.edu> | 206-616-3886

Roosevelt One Building

4225 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105

<https://deohs.washington.edu/sites/default/files/2020-09/deohs-email-signat
ure-logo.png>