[Biostudent] Undergrad Research - Rico-Guevara Lab

Biology Advising bioladv at uw.edu
Wed Feb 22 19:21:55 PST 2023

*Feeding and Pollination Ecology of Australian Honeyeaters*

My name is Amanda Hewes and I’m a PhD student in the Biology Department in
the Behavioral Ecophysics Lab (PI: Dr. Alejandro Rico-Guevara). I study
the feeding biomechanics, feeding ecology, and pollination ecology of
honeyeaters, an Australasian group of nectar-feeding birds. I’m seeking
undergraduate students to help with a project studying honeyeater-plant
interactions starting the week of March 27th.

*Understanding the rewards of honeyeater-plant interactions*

Animal pollination is often viewed as a mutualism, with both parties
receiving some benefit from the interaction. Pollinators are attracted by
floral rewards (often nectar) and in the process they facilitate plant
reproduction by transferring pollen, but animal pollination is not always
successful. One way to reduce pollen loss is to increase the mechanical fit
between flower and pollinator; this can be done by altering floral
morphology so nectar is only accessible when the pollinator is feeding at a
specific orientation and depth, maximizing contact with floral reproductive
structures. From the perspective of an avian nectarivore/pollinator, a
better fit between the flower and the bird’s bill will presumably increase
feeding efficiency. The goal of this project is to determine whether the
feeding and pollination efficiency of honeyeater-plant interactions is
mediated by the fit between the bird and floral morphologies. I have
conducted fieldwork in Australia to collect data on feeding and pollination
efficiency for three species of honeyeaters. The goal for this
undergraduate research experience is to assist in analysis of that data.
Tasks you will be working on include, but are not limited to:

- Reviewing camera trap and GoPro footage to identify honeyeater species

- Analyzing high-speed videos of honeyeaters feeding at flowers

- Taking morphological measurements of flowers and quantifying flower
development from photos

*What you can get out of this work:*

- An introduction to pollination ecology and the ecology of nectar-feeding
birds, specifically honeyeaters

- An introduction to wildlife monitoring technology and methodology (e.g.,
remote camera traps)

- Experience with machine learning for data processing and with image and
video analysis software

- Work is easily done remotely with your own computer (but the lab has
computing resources if needed!)

- Regular meetings to discuss progress and read relevant articles from the
scientific literature

- Join the dynamic and exciting Behavioral Ecophysics Lab, attend lab
meetings, and engage with

scientists from around the world

- Research credits starting in Spring quarter

- Potential coauthorship on a peer-reviewed academic publication (this will
be extremely helpful if you’re considering going to grad school!)

- Potential to develop your own project related to this subject matter,
which we would work on collaboratively together, and to present in
undergraduate research symposia

*What I am looking for from you:*

- At least 4 hours a week of work

- An interest in the work (no need to be declared in any particular major)

- Consistency in your work and careful attention to detail

You will be given training and mentorship for the above-mentioned project,
an opportunity to develop your own academic ideas to apply to unique
research projects, and the opportunity to be a part of the academic
publication process.

*If you are interested:*

Email me at ahewes at uw.edu with your CV or resume (no need to include GPA
unless you want to) and a short message about why you are interested in
this project. Don’t worry about committing straight away—you can ask
questions and we will figure out if this is the right research fit for you

--
*Biology Advising *
University of Washington, *BOX* 355320

*Zoom drop-in advising hours (10-15 min meetings):*

Monday - Thursday 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

*Join Zoom Meeting *https://washington.zoom.us/j/97207369544
Advising Sessions via EMAIL, PHONE, and ZOOM. In person advising available
by appointment only.

Please include your name and student number in your emails.