[Biostudent] Undergrad Research - Rico-Guevara Lab

BIOLOGY bioladv at uw.edu
Wed Oct 4 09:07:30 PDT 2023

Undergraduate Research Experience in Morphology, Biomechanics, and Evolution

Autumn 2023

I am David Cuban, a PhD student in the Biology department in the Behavioral Ecophysics Lab (Prof. Alejandro Rico-Guevara). I study the convergent evolution of nectar-feeding birds through the lenses of biomechanics, morphology, and ecology. I am seeking undergraduate students that are looking for research opportunities to help with projects studying sunbirds and other nectar-feeding birds.

Analysis of High-speed videos of sunbird feeding

We are studying the feeding efficiency of sunbirds feeding from different types of flowers from across the world. Our lab has collected high-speed videos of sunbirds feeding from artificial flowers with nectar at different concentrations (10,20,30,40,50, and 60% sucrose by weight). We are looking for undergraduate research assistants to analyze the videos (using a free software we will teach you how to use) to get the precise measurements of feeding efficiency from these birds. We will be analyzing the data once it is extracted from the videos using the R programming language (you can learn how to do this from our lab).

What I am looking for from you:

· At least 4 hours a week of work

· An interest in the work (no need to be declared in any particular major)

· Consistency in your work

· Starting by Oct 10 (please contact if after this date as we may still be looking for researchers)

You will be given training and mentorship for the above mentioned project and an opportunity to develop your own academic ideas to apply to unique research projects.

If you are interested:

Email me at dcuban at uw.edu<mailto:dcuban at uw.edu> with a short message about why you are interested. Don’t worry about committing straight away - you can ask questions and we will figure out the best fit for you in the team!

Biology Advising
University of Washington, BOX 355320
318 Hitchcock Hall
http://www.biology.washington.edu/programs/undergraduate

Zoom drop-in advising hours (10-15 min meetings):

Monday - Thursday 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Join Zoom Meeting https://washington.zoom.us/j/97207369544

Advising Sessions via EMAIL, PHONE, and ZOOM. In person advising available by appointment only.

Please include your name and student number in your emails.