[Biostudent] FW: New Year, New(s) Letter!

BIOLOGY bioladv at uw.edu
Tue Jan 30 11:05:46 PST 2024

This year, we're trying something different with our storytelling.
View the web version of this message<https://discover.uw.edu/v/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUNq-kxARI7AaJ7BO5nkdYwEIbt5ckbYO0P0-hxMKsmmV36p-ePalkXFUY_AefuJTnwo=>
[University of Washington]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUPlm_yNy-C11tFA7P6VhWde2v0wFw7hvnlNAHkF66Er20KIA6aSqNDNktGc-u3NQLiM=>

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/EARTHLAB%20%281200%20x%20470%20px%29.png]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUDC63Zw2didQT8pAkIODPv1QAgkf3tbNmmKK39xZLGVIJ237lmdi7wjOaR2sCgcMgF8=>

EARTHLAB NEWSLETTER - JANUARY 2024

Dear reader,

Climate change and social justice are inseparable, and the stories we tell about these topics can either divide or unite us. At EarthLab, we seek to share stories that promote empathy, understanding and collaborative action towards a more just and sustainable future.

With that in mind, we redesigned our newsletter to showcase our efforts to take equitable action on climate change through our four action areas:
1. We invest in research co-created with community
2. We build capacity for more environmental research and training​
3. We mentor and train the next generation of climate leaders
4. We create new connections across UW and the wider community​
Going forward, we'll be featuring bite-sized stories that highlight the diversity of our partnerships and elevate the voices of the people at the heart of the work at the intersection of climate change and social justice. We invite you to engage with our newsletter, share your thoughts, and join us in promoting understanding and positive change.

Onwards,
[Ben Packard's signature]

[Image of Ben Packard]

Ben Packard
Harriet Bullitt Endowed Executive Director | EarthLab

EarthLab in Action

Recent stories of impact across our four action areas.
[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/Investing%20in%20research%20co-created%20with%20community.png]

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/_A%20new%20storymap%20features%20stories%20from%20survey%20partners%20and%20Duwamish%20Valley%20community%20members%20including%20%28from%20left%29%20Paulina%20Lo%CC%81pez%2C%20Robin%20Schwartz%2C%20Alberto%20J.%20Rodri%CC%81guez%20and%20Maribel%20Pastor.%20Photos%20Mar.png]

Resilience on Seattle's Waterfront

One of EarthLab's Innovation Grant teams<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUI7_vrwSlAYIxteJscL1HSywbWb995rEy3fk_vKlcBK1LE9dMwAtWnyq1FCFHupRIG0=> is tackling environmental and social injustices in the Duwamish Valley, where residents face a stunning 13-year disparity in life expectancy compared to wealthier Seattle neighborhoods. Their community-centered storymap showcases local perspectives in the South Park and Georgetown neighborhoods, situated along the Duwamish River and at greater risk to climate change impacts. The project has gained media attention for its innovative approach to addressing environmental health and amplifying community voices in building climate resilience.

READ THE STORY<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUCIzVEFLyfmKUTLgxPGzO3j-AqBRoA68bY22apZJH1HYJuzRb7YO6yGDXkvzzuLyHsk=>
[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/arrow-purple.png]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUCIzVEFLyfmKUTLgxPGzO3j-AqBRoA68bY22apZJH1HYJuzRb7YO6yGDXkvzzuLyHsk=>

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/Greater%20research%20capacity%20with%20an%20environmental%20justice%20focus.png]

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/OWSC%20strategic%20plan%20mock%20up%20image.png]

OWSC Joins EarthLab for Collaborative Climate Action

The Office of the Washington State Climatologist (OWSC) has officially joined the Climate Impacts Group and is now a member of EarthLab. Building on their expertise in providing climate data and information to our region, OWSC is shifting its focus towards long-term partnerships, capacity building, and interdisciplinary research collaborations. As part of this work, the EarthLab team designed a new strategic plan to help illustrate all the exciting future developments.

READ THE OWSC STRATEGIC PLAN <https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUKIW0IcikbYlOPk8ufTnn49PFae1b9GnUegKhyhcNqFfGSvGpn4nHrINxt40c6i_qn4=>
[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/arrow-purple.png]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUKIW0IcikbYlOPk8ufTnn49PFae1b9GnUegKhyhcNqFfGSvGpn4nHrINxt40c6i_qn4=>

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/Training%20%26%20mentoring%20tomorrow%27s%20climate%20leaders.png]

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/Image%20of%20students%20and%20teacher%20out%20in%20the%20field.png]

Apply Now! EarthLab Summer Internships

This 9-week paid internship invites 16 UW undergraduates to explore climate change and social justice in a variety of contexts. Interns will work on interdisciplinary projects that promote professional development and community engagement. The paid-stipend program provides a supportive cohort model, where interns can connect with peers and receive mentorship. The program culminates in a final presentation where interns showcase their work.

LEARN MORE & APPLY <https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUM4Bn_a5WQCAAei25dfMBwwS6QZl84mHx4jQtPfmdA609Qq-8avFaYyoRbzf5emyrHA=>
[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/arrow-purple.png]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUM4Bn_a5WQCAAei25dfMBwwS6QZl84mHx4jQtPfmdA609Qq-8avFaYyoRbzf5emyrHA=>

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/Creating%20connections%20at%20UW%20and%20beyond%20%281%29.png]

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/Image%20of%20magnifying%20glass%20over%20wooden%20squares.png]

Strategic Funding Manager Job Opening

Congratulations to our friends and colleagues who recently launched the UW Center for Environmental Health Equity<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUF6TZl4XXcKgBAJBuhnOrY_g1KOOHr5qbVBLAdUUJv_joiAQBmD-GWMQIV4PlAB3N4o=>! This new center helps communities in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington access grants for environmental and energy justice. They're hiring a Strategic Funding Manager to support BIPOC communities in applying for these grants. Responsibilities include building close relationships, providing expert guidance, and managing grant applications and awards.

APPLY HERE <https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUBBv1rvKfr2ldH3xqwCXVq0Jh33LIVK-6VGnkLiaXwUOwo6qpj8_9RCxPid6LWs29B0=>
[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/arrow-purple.png]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUBBv1rvKfr2ldH3xqwCXVq0Jh33LIVK-6VGnkLiaXwUOwo6qpj8_9RCxPid6LWs29B0=>

Make A Gift
Your philanthropic support makes EarthLab possible. Join us in taking equitable action on climate change.

Donate Today<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUAUMYrH1ZJyxMCeyqnEmwTb7sMHZnKYQOKQHc1zpi2NS1y27-1Inp2US_orL2Q-nY-c=>
[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/arrow-purple.png]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUAUMYrH1ZJyxMCeyqnEmwTb7sMHZnKYQOKQHc1zpi2NS1y27-1Inp2US_orL2Q-nY-c=>

Save the Date

EARTHLAB SUMMER INTERNSHIP - VIRTUAL INFO SESSIONS<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUM4Bn_a5WQCAAei25dfMBwwS6QZl84mHx4jQtPfmdA609Qq-8avFaYyoRbzf5emyrHA=> Ready for a summer that's more than just a break? Immerse yourself in the EarthLab Summer Internship Program! This isn't your typical summer gig — it’s a paid stipend opportunity for any current UW undergrad from any discipline or campus that is currently enrolled as of Spring 2024. Learn more about the program or sign up for one of three virtual info sessions. JAN 31, FEB 14 & FEB 27
NATURE AND HEALTH COMMUNITY DINNER<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUCGqDK2kNsF7a7F5mPmaqHMqNjcBIrv23yxHDXbfVRWTxbDCRNcBtp9n_7sY4ekpzYE=> Free and open to the public, the Nature and Health Community Dinners are a chance to learn about local Nature and Health research and programs, and how they might inform local and national policies. They also provide an opportunity to connect with Nature and Health colleagues and experts from around Puget Sound. We will be meeting at The Conservatory at Ravenna Brewing Co. JAN 31
NW CASC FACULTY FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM - INFO SESSION<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUGeZagJk_9EG7tK68A33UPjs2zlLCXPslN60Pm7hk8OVbUrsUnZbYU5Wpxn06SAmaZQ=> The NW CASC Faculty Fellowship Program is a one-year program, starting at the beginning of each calendar year. The RFP for the first cycle of this program will be released in spring 2024, with funding starting Jan. 1, 2025 through Dec. 31, 2025. FEB 1
FOSTERING CLIMATE CHANGE CONNECTIONS<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUFcI4QyiODj3zlhmvcpUovZTJl87yC0JDP6QEUW46xMcferkXQF3bDf7NTgDSXLCAKU=> The Population Health Initiative and EarthLab are co-hosting a climate change-focused event at the UW wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ – Intellectual House. This event aims to facilitate interdisciplinary collaborations among UW researchers tackling the climate crisis. The event is open to faculty, staff, and graduate students, and will include a participant-driven agenda and networking lunch. FEB 13
UW ENVIRONMENTAL CAREER FAIR<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUNhbwk-SU4255wsw-Ghf48GseduYTX54zTzyKpRbQ8Z4tDd6p6SWO8RKpvMRuk6fR6Q=> The Environmental Career Fair is an opportunity to explore careers in environmental and natural resources fields. Connect with employers (including EarthLab!) and learn more about jobs, internships, and careers in the field. FEB 15
GLOBAL MENTAL HEALTH AND CLIMATE CHANGE SEMINAR SERIES<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUKT-Usz2lgBDYlpDDe2sS58zN6hxw0QkHzjRZud5OZ0gH2NXHCrCbvxoFoVzAS97oaE=> Join the UW Consortium for Global Mental Health and the Population Health Initiative for our 2023-24 seminar series. Kris Ebi, Gregory Bratman, Sara Curran, and Sherilee Harper (U Alberta) will be in conversation on the topic of global mental health and climate change. Staff, faculty, and students of all disciplines are welcome and snacks will be served! FEB 15
SYMPOSIUM ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND CLINICAL PRACTICE<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUHj5ljFuu6BzOPBqhfN6a5kL916jZFR0w6_CIICqGWQ248lIZVSNnzyv3spNAyncYzU=> This in-person regional symposium will gather health care stakeholders to address the impacts of climate change on health care systems. This FREE full-day event will cover topics such as disaster preparedness, capacity management, and decarbonization of clinical environments. The symposium will provide a valuable opportunity for learning, networking, and exploring practical solutions to the challenges posed by the climate crisis. MAR 28
EarthLab Events Calendar<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUNsyoaFXPkzDVsrhoz3OPdVNuqz3fpVFLpPr0T8LdKECiqF6SaBuOZH2OjnG1oDqSpU=>
[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/arrow-purple.png]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUNsyoaFXPkzDVsrhoz3OPdVNuqz3fpVFLpPr0T8LdKECiqF6SaBuOZH2OjnG1oDqSpU=>

UW Home<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUPlm_yNy-C11tFA7P6VhWde2v0wFw7hvnlNAHkF66Er20KIA6aSqNDNktGc-u3NQLiM=>
UW EarthLab Home<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUDC63Zw2didQT8pAkIODPv1QAgkf3tbNmmKK39xZLGVIJ237lmdi7wjOaR2sCgcMgF8=>
UW Environment Home<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUAxkbm-p72trdkc8oee6NikdpFnW_ZRDHF0jzHjvnUE69NXor17hMT_T4SnynNOwDuM=>

[https://explore.uw.edu/rs/131-AQO-225/images/UW_EarthLab_ctr_reversed_mkto_footer-1.png]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUDC63Zw2didQT8pAkIODPv1QAgkf3tbNmmKK39xZLGVIJ237lmdi7wjOaR2sCgcMgF8=>

EarthLab Member Organizations:
<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUHfaQt9yYWDKyXpflZZL_TXULV27DgWA_Y541a0l_qk4J8MHuRxyUuNM8s2fWAR9tbo=>Center for Health and the Global Environment<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUKWGHP2B_0EE-9m0YaQG_HOaBjYdOorqZXqE-9moDaRyVyfaRBdqthVvY0-cHFwwFGM=> | Climate Impacts Group<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUHfaQt9yYWDKyXpflZZL_TXULV27DgWA_Y541a0l_qk4J8MHuRxyUuNM8s2fWAR9tbo=> | Doris Duke Conservation Scholars<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUBVsYG5fNWg6a2knvwDkdxprQhfGIJ37eLXsuMwYwSBwfCuyTH6sBRiCGmvLJ9LnNSE=> | Future Rivers<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUNBoJ0VD8X_Fym0zY-L0HR9plNy0PyelZhS-ycE78mZCtglCShfQOZ6NZ82ibQv9NSg=> | Nature and Health<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUElfItFtO-dxP-_ahetay5jEgpzJwwQLoRo-ODlJ3O-MfQKMzyqAc02VPid-FkPzFXU=> | Northwest Climate Adaptation Science Center<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUOLwsX33lreqBSyQNU7r3-dfcEudUCA5iH1HSaplViA8XXh9-E-fDJ6YmHVbGkwgK-s=> | Nippon Foundation Ocean Nexus Center<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUL2si9BTrl7rWE55z0VlAhToBuKsFwlcvZmD1vEceLSfVf4QYPaTkDNcgz-XpNR-_U8=> | Office of the Washington State Climatologist<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUFYI-qD67ujQfETwI_2nqKFieVK1tJLOvOXmt7xa94d2bgGyVmV-mO4iKs6Ny5P0HtA=> | Washington Ocean Acidification Center<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUCwgMvnyrLdGWbpbV2S9nFzLRkBLVJla1yOsp0qoyBS9M0jEgBWakkH24loguMaT4Ic=>

Follow us on:
[Facebook]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUI_Xvm40H5cKArPv_y4wfIUGIzdaCc_ZQnMf-nojhL9QMN_vGQuj262F8KwkFj8YI_w=> [Twitter] <https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUKvpKSBe2W0FYdVAJFkwtcSTzZ81jSNBzXrSeR9HuegjBPgPv_xuSbjUb5XiqjAMKOo=> [Instagram] <https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUMd446FkPl91iXtGb7mpqEcyA2To1VuVIY_lwf9FaUCZzV7mTBp4zKzFv7iOhQvsR5k=> [YouTube] <https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUCsqmSMvQewMkw0JFLbc4_BwMMKdG52X5jUVrQAkBvDS8oWQolI18X-CybSHqDqU6AY=> [LinkedIn] <https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUASSaqoJ6RBcwJPj5L7UC-oGwJxZn0tuYmTpR_ErR-6zw1sJrG9ps0JU3otebyhUwao=>
Contact Us<mailto:earthlab at uw.edu> | Privacy<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUN4nwBkFzBetZTn2Fa4zH5W502CXwLiVQqh2vAIV5svBgLInxBaWYZe7i17Myg8hUDo=> | Terms<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUDbFcSf4TQtBDY3Mv9gQ6tsbN650d67VZn7AD2jtenb6gjQi79Rro8vxJTsj1QXTB3U=>
© 2024
UW EarthLab, Box 355674, Seattle, WA 98195-5674
This email was sent to janetjg at uw.edu<https://discover.uw.edu/dc/uneV9Dqs-dHc9dCmwsi8LW0W2gJBlfcMi91XpuzVnGg=/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUC0xDWB1a8EnLYQlJJmtpnhOQT2Fpq47AUROmNhx3jHmYeBBXQQKbYzIJkNG1EbFIks=>
Unsubscribe or change your email preferences<https://discover.uw.edu/dc/s0_afFuVBeZpG5HfC2pItdoyk_iXqjUzdyU9feBL9niw9StyPnLEmqJsTJOlbjtgXDeSeeu3hz6c5Ttevyih_SWlr56HQo-fW_BMyVZ9-TshJPuJg1gN2hZg4H4dAzMVjluTPlMC6tw47BX9u9tbs80OCzbT-bIvTKr7ILOl1Kx26v9xtFbZSQSj2ZW-W6YA/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUC0xDWB1a8EnLYQlJJmtpnhOQT2Fpq47AUROmNhx3jHmYeBBXQQKbYzIJkNG1EbFIks=>

[Be Boundless / For Washington, For the World]<https://discover.uw.edu/MTMxLUFRTy0yMjUAAAGQ-oHNUBUqsLVOctbKCK5oR4SADYYSp7ENH2WbzjdY9u2eKGF9TUBsA_KfdHaAzoSGpyxxiGw=>