[Accessibleweb] UX CoP Spring Meeting Recording and Slide deck – Information Design: Data Visualization Best Practices

William Washington scumby at uw.edu
Thu Apr 27 13:44:37 PDT 2023

Greetings,

Thank you to those who attended our Spring session last week on Information Design: Data Visualization Best Practices. A big thank you to our presenter Rebecca Bergh! Slides are attached here and the presentation recording is also available<https://washington.zoom.us/rec/share/Es6sChUZeJkQG3WgVvAlct91PqhSn8gE-ObZ0qFO6CYMsJr3t7QhMdqZhjw7rBZM.4dpM9bdSeFR2rUzv?startTime=1681851116000>.

I also wanted to share a few information visualization resources that you may find both inspiring and insightful as you continue to explore this space:

* Colin Ware – Colin Ware is the world’s leading authority on the perceptual principles underlying the effective design of information displays. Check out his Visual Design Patterns for Data Analysis<http://ccom.unh.edu/vislab/VTDP_web_pages/VTDP_HomePage.html>.
* Noah Illinsky – Noah is a UW HCDE grad who wrote a couple O’Reilly books on data visualization<https://www.oreilly.com/pub/au/4419>. Here he shares his purpose-driven process for data visualizations<https://ellessmedia.com/csi/noah-iliinsky>.
* Dear Data Project – A gorgeous, year-long, analog data drawing project<http://www.dear-data.com/theproject> by two information designers.
* Edward Tufte - Edward Tufte is a statistician and artist, and Professor Emeritus of Political Science, Statistics, and Computer Science at Yale University. He wrote, designed, and self-published 4 classic books on data visualization<https://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi>.

Join our UX Community of Practice

* MS Teams<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/team/19%3aGI--EoTTQR83EZoW5BqGx3FkMcwH15NcjhWIY6ki5h41%40thread.tacv2/conversations?groupId=803082dd-50c4-4535-a506-f3c4e5406d44&tenantId=f6b6dd5b-f02f-441a-99a0-162ac5060bd2> (Search for UX & Design Thinking Community, code: ztxsosa) – We plan on using this space to share resources, answer questions, and more.
* Access materials from previous sessions on our wiki space<https://wiki.cac.washington.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=125259951>.

Check out the organizing committee!

Drop in for a meeting or stay awhile! Bring your UX enthusiasm and curiosity to planning future meetings, the time commitment is only a couple of hours per month.
E-mail scumby at uw.edu<mailto:scumby at uw.edu> or jdilo at uw.edu<mailto:jdilo at uw.edu> if you’re curious about or interested in joining us!

Learn more about UX Design methods

* UX UW Design Guides<https://uxdesign.uw.edu/>

All the best,

William
William Washington
Senior User Experience Designer
Product Owner, MyUW Student

Academic Experience Design & Delivery
UW Information Technology

"Requirements emerge as users begin to see the evolving design...when they see what you're building, they'll say what they meant." - Alan Cooper