[Alpine-info] PGP encryption in Alpine?

Carl Edquist via Alpine-info alpine-info at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 8 02:09:19 PDT 2024

Hi there!

I'm curious if there is a recommended way to get PGP working with Alpine,
to read and send PGP encrypted mails?

Eduardo or anyone else here gotten this working?

Just thought I'd ask here first before diving in.

(I'll include my notes below for reference though.)

Thanks!
Carl

A web search turned up a few guides on external sites ([1], [2], [3]).

Restricting the search to the alpineapp.email site, there appears to be an
old pgp patch [4] for pine 4.33 (which besides being quite old, apparently
only supports decryption). And there is a reference to an even older
patch from 1994 on an external newsgroup, listed under "Patches for
Pine3.89" [5] (the oldest one) that claims to add encryption support.

But these are pretty old, and I don't see anything referencing PGP on the
main "Patches for Alpine" page [6].

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_GPG_with_Alpine
[2] https://pbraun.nethence.com/unix/mail/alpine-pgp.html
[3] https://web.archive.org/web/20131221175352/http://www.hackorama.com/network/pgphowto.shtml