[Alpine-info] PGP encryption in Alpine?

Olaf Skibbe via Alpine-info alpine-info at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 8 04:09:01 PDT 2024

Hi Carl,

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 11:09, Carl Edquist via Alpine-info wrote:

> I'm curious if there is a recommended way to get PGP working with

> Alpine, to read and send PGP encrypted mails?

> Eduardo or anyone else here gotten this working?

I use PGP in Alpine with Topal. This works well so far.

https://green-pike.co.uk/topal/

I use both programs (Alpine and Topal) from the Debian sources.

There is only one issue: As installed from the Debian sources, Topal
works only for PGP/Inline.

Most of the people I know using PGP use PGP/MIME. This seems to be the
standard now, Thunderbird for instance has dropped support of
PGP/Inline some time ago. It is a little complicated to decrypt these
messages, especially when there are attachments included.

There is a patch for Alpine described in the Topal documentation to
make it capable of PGP/MIME. Since I use Alpine on several systems, I
very much like to stick with the distributed version (here Debian
stable with Alpine 2.26). I therefore never tried to install the
patch. An native Alpine with support of PGP/MIME would be great!

Cheers,
Olaf