[Alpine-info] PGP encryption in Alpine?

Carlos E. R. via Alpine-info alpine-info at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 8 05:26:06 PDT 2024

El 2024-04-08 a las 13:09 +0200, Olaf Skibbe via Alpine-info escribió:

> Hi Carl,

> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 11:09, Carl Edquist via Alpine-info wrote:

>> I'm curious if there is a recommended way to get PGP working with

>> Alpine, to read and send PGP encrypted mails?

>> Eduardo or anyone else here gotten this working?

> I use PGP in Alpine with Topal. This works well so far.

> https://green-pike.co.uk/topal/

> I use both programs (Alpine and Topal) from the Debian sources.

I use ppf_ scripts or filters, from dougb (Douglas Barton):

http://dougbarton.us/PGP/scripts/ppf/ and/or
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/dougb/

> There is only one issue: As installed from the Debian sources, Topal

> works only for PGP/Inline.

> Most of the people I know using PGP use PGP/MIME. This seems to be the

> standard now, Thunderbird for instance has dropped support of

> PGP/Inline some time ago. It is a little complicated to decrypt these

> messages, especially when there are attachments included.

Yes, this is indeed an issue.

Alpine does not recognize signatures made by Thunderbird, and the other
way around. In fact, people ask what is that stuff (text) in the middle of
the email.

> There is a patch for Alpine described in the Topal documentation to

> make it capable of PGP/MIME. Since I use Alpine on several systems, I

> very much like to stick with the distributed version (here Debian

> stable with Alpine 2.26). I therefore never tried to install the

> patch. An native Alpine with support of PGP/MIME would be great!

Topal is available on openSUSE:

Telcontar:~ # zypper info Topal

Information for package topal:
- ------------------------------
Repository : EXT: Packman Repository
Name : topal
Version : 76-150500.4.pm.5
Arch : x86_64
Vendor : http://packman.links2linux.de
Installed Size : 2.1 MiB
Installed : No
Description :
Topal is a "glue" program that links GnuPG and Pine/Alpine.
It offers facilities to encrypt, decrypt, sign and verify emails.

Telcontar:~ #

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from openSUSE 15.5 x86_64 at Telcontar)