[AMP-L] An Amputee In The Park

Wayne Renardson wrenardson at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:48:30 PDT 2022

via Limbs 4 Life:

During Covid lockdown, I spent a lot of time in the park. Everybody in
my suburb was in Fleming Park, near my place. People- and
dog-watching were one of my major pastimes.

The rules were broken. Friends met for picnics on the footy oval and
under the surrounding trees. They bought takeaway and coffee from the
surrounding cafes. There´s a McDonald´s not far away, and a place
called, alarmingly, "Fat & Tasty." There are trendy joints, where the
young would normally meet for Sunday brunch. It´s a great park for that,
with lots of choice.

It´s a dog park. Suddenly, everyone had a dog. Every breed, from
chihuahuas to great danes. They walked them. They let them off the
leash. They played with them. Dogs chased each other, sniffed each
other´s bums and eyed one another off. The dogs had a wonderful time.

As the title of this story suggests, I´m an amputee. My leg was
amputated above the knee rather than below. What might appear as a
small detail actually changes someone´s life profoundly. There are many
things I simply can´t do - climb a stepladder to change a light globe;
carry anything weighing more than about a kilo; change my sheets.

The rest of the story, with photos, here:

https://tinyurl.com/y42hjfdo

Wayne R.