[AMP-L] Congress Must Act to Stop America’s Amputation Epidemic

Wayne Renardson wrenardson at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:57:17 PDT 2022

via American Journal of Managed Care:

The Amputation Reduction and Compassion Act (H.R. 2631) would
ensure that Medicare and Medicaid both cover peripheral artery disease
screening for at-risk beneficiaries without the cost-sharing requirements
that could make some patients balk at seeking care.

As our health care system works to address the many disparities and
inequities that Americans of color-particularly Black, Hispanic, and
Native Americans-continue to face, there remains too little
understanding of our nation´s amputation epidemic. Over the past 2
years, the pandemic has brought attention to the health disparities that
continue to affect people from racial and ethnic minority groups.

Although some policymakers encourage action through health
education, early detection, and control of disease complication, the
systematic inequities that result in unnecessary and senseless
amputations must be addressed.

The rest of the story here:

https://tinyurl.com/y6jron4n

Wayne R.