[AMP-L] Consumer-Direct Prosthetics Give Amputees a New Choice

Wayne Renardson wayne.renardson at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 04:40:09 PDT 2022

via Amplitude:

Upstart prosthetic firms want to provide more amputees with access to
devices. But are they moving too quickly?

In the spring of 2004, a Danish teenager named Lasse Madsen wiped out
on his scooter and lost his right leg above the knee. He´d been
planning to enroll in a high school gymnastics program later that
year, but when Madsen asked how soon he´d be able to return to his
sport, his doctor said: "You will learn to walk. You will probably
never be able to run."

Undeterred, Madsen called the school. "I told them, `I´m in a
wheelchair right now, I only have one leg, but I´m still really
interested in doing this program,´" he recalls. School officials said
he could attend, but he shouldn´t expect special treatment-he´d be
graded on the same scale as his able-bodied classmates. "That was a
very important part of my rehabilitation journey," says Madsen, now
32. "Because that gave me a goal."

The rest of the story, with photos, here:

https://tinyurl.com/2ho6925f

Wayne R.