[AMP-L] "I was standing at the bar and my leg snapped in two"

Wayne Renardson wayne.renardson at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 04:51:23 PST 2023

via Cycling Weekly:

Refusing to let amputation sideline him from sport, Jake Woods is
rebuilding his athletic career - only this time it´s his hands
turning the pedals.

"I remember sitting in the bath on a Sunday night and thinking about
who on the squad was faster than me and how I would beat them." Jake
Woods is retracing the emergence of his competitive instinct as a
teenage swimmer - leaving behind his inactive child self and
transforming into an athletic man. "As I lost weight and gained
confidence, I built myself up through my own sheer will." Over the
next few years he reached national level in the pool, qualified as a
beach lifeguard in his native Sunderland, and while at university
threw himself into triathlon. "My first race was a half-Ironman," he
grins, "and I did just over six hours, which I thought was totally
fine as a first attempt."

The rest of the story, with photos, here:

https://tinyurl.com/2ks5odo4

Wayne R.