[athen] accommodation ideas?

Nick Ogrizovich III defnick at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 07:02:09 PDT 2004

hello fellow AT folks,

recently, i've been asked to resolve a somewhat unique problem.
we have a medical student who is going to start doing rounds in a
hospital in town. she wants the ability to verbally utter her patient
notes and have it captured as text. (ala dragon)

however, she wants the accuracy rate to be at least 90%. i have
misgivings about dragon being that accurate when using medical
jargon. any success stories?

are there any other ways to address this? so far, the idea is to get
a workstation situated in a quiet place for her somewhere in the
hospital, and she would return to this station, speak out her notes,
make minute corrections, and just do this all day.

for the initial time period while we see if this all works, i
suggested that she use a voice recorder, and then use transcription
services to get verbatim text, which she can copy/paste into notes if
need be.

she originally wanted a portable solution, but i just dont see how
this can be done accurately. (using a wireless mike and then hoping a
remote laptop would get everything right...?)

any ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks!

nick ogrizovich
university of vermont