FW: [athen] Access to E-Text Dilemma

Stewart, Ron ron.stewart at oregonstate.edu
Wed Feb 23 09:17:04 PST 2005

From: Teresa Wells [mailto:tlwells at uark.edu]
Sent: Wed 2/23/2005 6:15 AM
To: Stewart, Ron
Subject: RE: [athen] Access to E-Text Dilemma

Hi, Ron. I guess I've been "progressive" from the time I got into this
business, but I've always provided alternative format for all students with
print disabilities, and always attempted to provide the format(s) which
worked best for each individual student. This includes not only Braille
(hardcopy and electronic, including tactile graphics) but also many
different versions of e-text (Word, RTF, txt, and DAISY files) and audio
(tape [2- and 4-track], MP3, CDA, and DAISY, including both human and
synthesized speech). I've even provided debind and spiral bind service for
students with mobility disabilities who only needed to be able to more
easily hold and turn pages on books. My universities have, on rare
occasions, considered cutting my budgets and each time I or my superiors
have simply said "No. We have a commitment and a responsibility as an
institution to provide effective access, and we are going to do so." And
although we may have to scrimp someplace else in the budget, like travel, we
always get enough funding to provide text access. Last year my Vice
Chancellor funded my one professional development trip out of her own office
budget so that my budget could continue to serve students. Bottom line: for
me it's been a matter of standing up to the administrations and refusing to
take "no" for an answer. It never hurts to show them the results of other
schools' OCR cases and how much cheaper/easier it is to do a job right in
the first place... <grin> I also campaign on the Universal Design platform
all the time, both with the administration and with individual faculty;
progress is slow, but perceptible. More of my students each year are making
it through some of their classes with absolutely no conversion necessary on
my end because their faculty have planned ahead and made their courses and
materials accessible from the start. There's still work to be done, but
we're making progress...

Hope this helps,
Teresa