[Athen] Confidentiality issue on etext request

Lissner, Scott Lissner.2 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 15 19:11:02 PST 2006

While I might argue that in this instance the publisher could be
considered an agent of the institution with a need to know, Jim has
nicely covered all of the bases, involved the students in the management
of their own needs and given them the opportunity to think about
intellectual property and it's theft. Not bad for a day's work Jim.
While I think publisher may be a bit paranoid (anyone know of a case
where a student with a disability emailed his or her digital text to
thousands or even tens of people?) I don't think FERPA's intent was to
hinder publishers in guarding their rights. I am positive that the
ADA's and 504's protections against outing a student would not prevent
this flow of information but it is better all around to inform the
student up front.

L. Scott Lissner, ADA Coordinator
Office Of The Provost

292-6207(v); 688-8605(tty); 688-3665(fax)
HTTP://ADA.OSU.EDU <http://ada.osu.edu/>