[Athen] Help re Mac Accessibility

Prof Norm Coombs nrcgsh at rit.edu
Tue Nov 21 10:20:20 PST 2006

I have been trying to get some clear report on how useful the new mac
accessibility tools really are. I don't get anything very definitive
either for or against. EASI got Apple to be part of our CSUN track either
a year or 2 years ago, but they were really weird. They were scared to
death about saying anything and made us turn off tape recorders and stop
broadcasting and said their lawyers wouldn't let them even talk to the
press!! It was really strange. So I no longer look to them to help me
understand how good its access is.

I have the impression that its magnification and onscreen keyboard stuff is
good, but I get the impression that its screen reader stuff is problematic.

The real reason is a friend in Maine wants me to tell them how good its
tools for the blind is because Maine has bought tons of Macs for grade
school students. U. S. Maine wants to put on a presentation for the school
teachers to help them understand how to use the macs with students and are
asking me how good or poor it is.

Can anyone here pass along any first-hand experience????

Norm

EASI Courses on Accessible Information Technology for November:
Barrier-free E-learning (expanded and enriched with more multimedia)
http://easi.cc/workshops/bfel.htm
EASI has 3 Podcast series: http://easi.cc/podcasts/
EASI Home http://easi.cc

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.