[Athen] Dragon NaturallySpeaking and literacy learning?

Dan Comden danc at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 14 17:19:20 PDT 2006

Searching on "speech recognition" and "dyslexia", here's one article I
quickly located. Not clear if it's DNS

"Speech Recognition-based and Automaticity Programs to Help Students with
Severe Reading and Spelling Problems", by Higgins, Eleanor L.; Raskind,
Marshall H., Annals of Dyslexia v. 54 no. 2 (2004) p. 365-92

"This study was conducted to assess the effectiveness of two programs
developed by the Frostig Center Research Department to improve the reading
and spelling of students with learning disabilities (LD): a computer
speech Recognition-based program (SRBP) and a computer and text-based
Automaticity Program (AP). Twenty-eight LD students with reading and
spelling difficulties (aged 8 to 18) received each program for 17 weeks
and were compared with 16 students in a contrast group who did not receive
either program. After adjusting for age and IQ, both the SRBP and AP
groups showed significant differences over the contrast group in improving
word recognition and reading comprehension. Neither program showed
significant differences over contrasts in spelling. The SRBP also improved
the performance of the target group when compared with the contrast group
on phonological elision and nonword reading efficiency tasks. The AP
showed significant differences in all process and reading efficiency
measures."

-*- Dan Comden danc at u.washington.edu
Access Technology Lab http://www.washington.edu/computing/atl/
University of Washington