[Athen] Structured accessible HTML from PDF

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Tue Apr 10 16:04:54 PDT 2007

> The RiverDocs converter will take any PDF document and analyse it to

recognise

> multi-column pages, headings, tables, images and other formatting and

convert

> it all into XHTML. Correctly recognising text that wraps around a picture,

> or the cells in a table requires sophisticated artificial intelligence

algorithms.

Has anyone actually used the RiverDocs Converter and what have you thought
of it?

The press release and the information on their website a bit lacking as to
exactly how they really are different from the other tools that currently
exists (you can edit a PDF for accessibility in Acrobat and export from PDF
to HTML). I found their price estimate of creating accessible PDF versions
with other tools in excess of 50 pounds per page somewhat high.

The website URL is: http://www.riverdocs.com

I am planning to get my hands on a demo copy, I just have not had a chance
to look into the tool much.

Thanks,
Sean