[Athen] Structured accessible HTML from PDF

Nusen, Michael Michael.Nusen at ppcc.edu
Tue Apr 10 17:03:59 PDT 2007

We downloaded the demo & only looked at it a little bit & it's difficult
to eval the OCR capability of the demo because of all the "x"s that are
put in by the demo version.
We were not happy with the order it chose for columns of text: i.e. it
would place the text from the columns into inline text but out of order
- might require quite a bit of editing.

For making PDF to HTML docs for non-visually impaired students we have
been mostly happy with testing we've been doing using ABBYY FineReader
8.0 Pro to convert the docs & then using the Opera browser with it's
downloadable voice component to do the text-to-speech. The trickiest
part has been going back into docs to rezone text imbedded in graphics
that didn't get OCR'd/extracted - the rezoned text sometimes has a
tendency to unzone itself back to a graphic - though this is a problem
we've had in OmniPage Pro 14 & 15 Pro as well...

Thanks,
Michael