[Athen] more than one question!

Jean Salzer jeano at uwm.edu
Tue Apr 24 11:55:40 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I just met with some folks from a small, private college in the area.
They are interested in learning more about how colleges have
accommodated totally blind students with computer science majors. We had
some discussion of assistive technology, however, part of their concern
is the world of windows and graphics versus just 'code'.

Question #1 - is there anyone out there who has been able to accommodate
a qualified blind student through a 4-year degree program for software
engineering?

Question #2 - how well can the Tiger embosser and software work with
Jaws so the students can create tactile representations of the graphics
they'll need for coursework completion?

Question #3 - the students are siblings from Pakistan. Their principle
goal with regard to completing this degree is to create a screen reading
system similar to Jaws in Pakistani languages. Besides connecting with
Freedom Scientific, are there any other suggestions for achievement of
this goal besides them doing it themselves after 4-5 arduous years in a
software engineering program?

Thanks in advance.