[Athen] braille production time tables

Wink Harner wink.harner at mcmail.maricopa.edu
Thu Aug 9 08:17:16 PDT 2007

Hi Dan, Phil et al ATHEN-ites,

I'll give you a statistic...we have a student who is blind taking university
physics. We used an outside source for the brailling. The job estimate we
received was for 790 pages at 850 man hours @ $20/hr. (Bill on my desk is
ca. $18k).

We were told by our district to get competetive quotes (for cost saving)
and convinced them that the local university brailling would be cheaper in
both the long and short runs (we have used the sole-source defense on two
occasions successfully. Last year's was for the Russian textbook). Prof.
who wrote the physics book & is teaching the class works at both of our institutions
plus there is the convenience factor of being able to run things back & forth
between campuses...

Hope this info. is helpful.

Wink
Ms. Wink Harner