[Athen] DMCA and Fair Use

Kerri Hicks Kerri_Hicks at brown.edu
Wed Feb 28 13:00:49 PST 2007

On Feb 28, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Sarah Horton wrote:

> Hi, Kerri! I'm new here and can tell already already I'm going to

> learn a lot from this list!

Fancy meeting you here! How's your new CIO? ;-)

> This copyright stuff makes my head spin, but I was wondering about

> how the November 2006 "Rulemaking on Exemptions from Prohibition

> on Circumvention of Technological Measures that Control Access to

> Copyrighted Works" figures into the discussion. It seems to allow

> circumvention in an educationcal context - at least for media

> studies and film professors!

The exemptions from late last year are really specific in what they
cover. As far as I know, they don't cover, for example, a song that a
professor might download from iTunes, or a snippet of video from a
DVD that has Macrovision protection.

That the new proposal seems to cover a broader audience and a greater
number of media types and uses. Also, the November 2006 rule is set
to expire October 27, 2009.

--Kerri