[Athen] FW: From AFB

Ron Stewart ron.stewart at dolphinusa.com
Tue Jun 5 20:18:18 PDT 2007

Good evening

I would like to pass on to you an announcement I received from a respected
colleague at The American Foundation for the Blind. I would ask that you
extend your support in the dissemination of this announcement to all of the
relevant groups that you interact with. The training being offered
represents the "state of the art" in professional development in the Braille
community, as well as representing a unique opportunity for quality
professional development and growth within our field.

This opportunity provides for the capacity for a service provider to have a
profound and meaningful impact on the lives of students who are blind or
vision impaired. Participation in this unique training opportunity benefits
our community by building the professional base of expertise in the
preparation of quality alternative format materials. From my perspective,
as one of the leaders in the curricular access movement, the need to build
capacity in regards to the provision and use of quality materials is
foundational to the success of the students with print and print related
disabilities.

Ron Stewart, Chair

AHEAD E-Text Solutions Group

Vice President for Operations
Dolphin Computer Access Inc.
231 Clarksville RD Suite 3
Princeton Junction, NJ 08550

Direct: 609 803-2174
Mobile: 609 213-2190
Sales (toll free): 866 797-5921
Support: 866 797-5921
Fax: 609 799-0475
ron.stewart at dolphinusa.com
<http://www.dolphinusa.com> http://www.dolphinusa.com

June 5, 2007

Mr. Ron Stewart

Vice President of Operations

Dolphin Computer Access Inc.

Chair, AHEAD E-text Solutions Group

231 Clarksville Rd., Suite 3

Princeton Junction, NJ 08550

Hello Ron:

AFB is continuing to support a new and unique curriculum at Northwest Vista
College in San Antonio, Texas, that provides a career path for people to
become Braille transcribers. The college series is conducted entirely
online through Northwest Vista College. Students are required to
successfully complete three multi-disciplinary semesters to receive the
Braille Textbook Transcriber Certificate. The first cohort began in August
2006 with people from six states. The second college cohort will begin
August 27, 2007. We are on the fast track to reach groups like membership
groups like AHEAD and their universities to tell them about this
professional development opportunity for their staff. Whom should I
contact? We want to reach people wanting new professional development
opportunities. Is there a list of the AHEAD board of directors that I may
obtain and their email and phone numbers? Thank you for your help.

The Braille Textbook Transcriber program will provide students with the
necessary general education coursework, applicable workforce skills and
transcribing experience to successfully perform tasks required in the basic
Braille transcription of textbooks. Graduates will be able to read and
write Braille; demonstrate proficiency in transcribing, Braille formatting
and proofreading; use basic tactile graphic production methods; possess
knowledge of production technology; and use successful small business
practices.

For more information about this career opportunity, visit the official Web
page at www.accd.edu/nvc/areas/braille. The curriculum brochure is
available at the college Web page above or at AFB's Web page at
www.afb.org/education.asp at the Braille transcriber page.

We sincerely appreciate your help in distributing key information to college
and university personnel. Please contact me at 469-522-1803.

Best regards,

Final MAS sig

Mary Ann Siller, M.Ed.

Project Manager, Professional Development

American Foundation for the Blind

Center on Vision Loss in Dallas, Texas