[Athen] FW: House Subcommittee Vote Could End Books for the Blind.

Ron Stewart ron.stewart at dolphinusa.com
Fri Jun 8 14:26:27 PDT 2007

I have a tendency to stick my foot into sticky things and I also know that
if I respond on any of the blindness lists I would be tarred and feathered.

Based on my understanding from a recent trip to Washigton DC and a couple of
conversations with legislative types, the number one issue for the funding
is the fact that the NLS did not use off the shelf technology or work with
any of the exsisting commercial solutions to build this reader. This has
been an issue throughout the development process on this reader, and to be
honest I am not surprised by this at all. It is becoming more and more of
an issues with federal funding of projects when the project goes off and
reinvents the wheel like this.

Anybody want to help me become better informed on the whys and werefores of
this.

Ron Stewart