[Athen] Google Accessibility Lobbying?

John Foliot - Stanford Online Accessibility Program jfoliot at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 12 10:01:14 PDT 2007

Enda P Guinan wrote:

> A colleague in Dublin ( http://www.cfit.ie/home/mozilla.html) has

> asked me if there are groups in the US lobbying Google around

> accessibility (esp. Gmail). He'd like to make contact. I'm not

> up-to-speed with this particular debate so if anyone could make

> suggestions, I'd be grateful.

> Thanks

> Enda

Google recently did a presentation here on campus promoting their system.
When I asked about "accessibility" and compliance to the very base-line
Section 508, the rep awkwardly and embarrassedly stated that they were not
yet compliant, and that they still had work to do.

The key "accessibility" people at Google are Loretta Guarino Reid and TV
Raman - I can supply email addresses off list if you need. Google are aware
of the issues, but they are "huge" and will not be addressed overnight. My
recommendation at this time was a pass...

JF
---
John Foliot
Academic Technology Consultant