[Athen] Web-based accessibility tool -SA to Go

Pratik Patel pratikp1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:28:36 PDT 2007

I've been playing with the software off and on for the last few weeks and find it tolerably useful. It is quite good on certain web sites and does a much better job than the current crop of other screen readers. For example, the GMail regular Ajax-based site is not accessible via any other screen reader but SAToGo/SA. SA's lack of an off-screen model certainly deters me from completely relying on it. There are portions of the screen that SA does not yet recognize and the mouse commands do not function with such portions all the time. It shows great promise though and as Vista is adapted more and more, SA and SAToGo will be a fantastic option. I'm also watching carefully the options provided by NVDA and other open-source screen reading technologies. With Firefox three on the quick move, NVDA certainly will have a great advantage in supporting newer standards such as AAREA and Xool. SaroTech is relying a great deal on Microsoft technologies where as NVDA is relying much more on the open-source community. There will be an interesting dynamic in the screen reader industry.

Pratik