[Athen] APOLOGY: E-ink and Flexible Displays (Boston Globe Article)

Berkowitz, Daniel J djbrky at bu.edu
Wed Mar 28 08:41:13 PDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Several people have contacted me and informed me that the MiniURL link I
posted for the article on E-Ink in the business section of the Boston
Globe this morning has led them to an adult oriented website. I double
checked this and got a '404 site unavailable' message.

This is a shame because it is an interesting article. You can find it by
visiting www.boston.com and looking in the 'business' section.

Regardless - I apologize for unintentionally linking folks to a
non-professional website and recommend not using MiniURL.

Cheers --- Dann

=========================
Daniel Berkowitz - Assistant Director
Boston University Office of Disability Services
19 Deerfield Street, 2nd floor
Boston, MA 02215

(617) 353-3658 (office)
(617) 353-9646 (fax)
djbrky at bu.edu (eMail)
www.bu.edu/disability

Media';

>DSSHE-L at LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU

>Subject: E-ink and Flexible Displays (Boston Globe Article)

>Interesting article in the Business section of the Boston Globe today.

E-

>Ink is a company in Cambridge, MA that is leading the flexible display

>revolution (resolution?):

>http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/03/28/e_paper_c

omes

>_of_age/

>MiniURL = http://miniurl.org/02m

>The article also includes a picture gallery.

>I have been following the developments in this area for a few years and

my

>interest touches on several fronts. From a technical/practical

viewpoint a

>good portion of the weight and majority of energy consumption on a

laptop

>comes from the monitor. Another is portability not just of the monitor

but

>of the sorts of programs we work with. Ultra Portable computers are

become

>more common - but portability usually means small and impractical

screen

>sizes. Imagine an LD or L/V student who can carry an ultra portable

>computer in their pocket (or on their wrist) and then be able to pull a

>large sized 'monitor' (display device) out of their pocket or unroll it

>from a tube and use it. The newspaper becomes a DTB or a screen

>magnification program (that actually has enough space to be practical)

can