[Athen] RFP language

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Wed May 23 13:58:38 PDT 2007

> I'd be especially interested in language that goes beyond "meets 508

standards"

> and includes usability testing as part of the evaluation criteria.

One thing that I have thought about is requiring that the vendor include
documentation from a third-party source regarding the accessibility of their
product as part of the proposal process. Conceptually, vendors would be
welcome to submit proposals that include an accessibility audit from a list
of previously approved evaluation companies. That evaluation would
(ideally) include some actual testing with assistive computer technologies.

While I think it is certainly valuable to have language that stipulates
"508-conformance" or beyond, there are a number of vendors who: a) do not
know what that means, b) will say "Yes, we are" when they are in fact not,
and c) may meet the technical requirements of Section 508, but still have a
completely non-usable system/interface. Having an outside evaluation may be
a bit more useful to the overall RFP process when reviewing the different
pros/cons of the platform.

just a thought,
sean