[Athen] Advice for colleague in Ireland

Wink Harner wink.harner at mcmail.maricopa.edu
Fri May 25 09:05:02 PDT 2007

Enda,

One possibility for open portal access is for your office to to house all
of the AT software, with the exception of Dragon (and there may be others
which have to be individual installs), on your own dpartment's separate server.
Talk to your tech dept. about this as a possibility then get in touch with
the AT dept. at Oklahoma State Univ. who have developped a really neat open
portal access approach. The big answer I always seem to get from our techies
here is that "your server will cost you another person" meaning they cannot
afford to staff & maintain the server. Am still working on that.

The 2-4-6 plan is the replacement cycle for the comptuers on campus. The
2year replacements are those super-high-end users (math, science, engineering)
who must have high processing speed. The 4yr. replacements will go into the
classrooms or libraries for 2 years and the office staffs get the 6yr. computers.
ARGH that means our offices have to run their offices with the slowest of
the slow! On the upside the AT lab computers got included in the 2yr. cycle
of the college's replacement plan instead of my office having to include
the equipement on some regular budget request. Huzzah!

Hope this helps you out in your conversations. Looks like you've gotten some
great and really practical suggestions to work with. What a great group we
have!

Blessings,

Wink
Ms. Wink Harner