[Athen] The Thoughts of Chairman Bill

Robert Martinengo accessible.text at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 11:10:28 PST 2007

Jim,

So glad you asked that question - I'll try and keep the answer below
novella length.

DAISY is just a set of XML tags, plus a method for synchronizing audio
to text (SMIL). When combined with a play-back mechanism, you have an
accessible system that can do a lot of nice things for the user, just
like Kurzweil is a nice system, one which is closed, instead of open
like DAISY.

Gates is saying that the important thing is to bring the functionality
DAISY allows into mainstream publishing formats, something which
George Kerscher and others have been working on with the IDPF with
real success (see
http://idpf.org/2007/ops/OPS_2.0_final_spec.html#Section2.4 ). But
'save as DAISY' puts the emphasis on DAISY as 'a thing of itself',
something Gates does not see as 'creating the right dynamic', and I
tend to agree. The dynamic is, disabled people need a special format.

Publishers are not against accessibility per se, they just don't want
it to open security holes or lose money. Publishers, and booksellers,
are perfectly happy to sell accessible media, as long as it goes
through the same channels as other media (see the RNIB's innovative
work in this regard,
http://www.pls.org.uk/ngen_public/article.asp?aid=338 )

Now, for those who may think I'm down on DAISY, take a look at a post
from four years ago, where I proposed to do essentially the same thing
as the plug-in (
http://htclistserv.htctu.fhda.edu/read/messages?id=15467 ). The
project didn't get funded, but the idea has been out there for years
(I think the DAISY Consortium's approach to educational content has
often been inspired by pioneers like Sam Ogami and Gaeir from the
High-Tech Center).

So, if the Consortium leadership wants to push DAISY as a brand, they
should focus on the functionality of all digital media. 'DAISY Ok'
could be a 508-like certification of functional requirements, not
adherence to a particular tag set. As folks have already pointed out,
a crappy Word file can be converted into a crappy DAISY file -
technical compliance is not the goal - usability is.

Bob