[Athen] Portable CCTV

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Fri Oct 26 13:15:06 PDT 2007

Funny, it must be CCTV time. This just came up on DSSHE, as well. I will
reprint below my comments there about the Ergo. You can roll it from place
to place, and with the extra large wheels that you can buy it with, it rolls
easily even over cobbled tiles and asphalt. Since the Ergo has its "stand"
built-in, you do not have to worry about where to put the machine.

It does not solve your board problem, however. We've used the Clarity for
that but haven't liked it too much. Maybe someone else has a good solution
for that one.

*******************

I *love* the Ergo. I've looked at a lot of large CCTV's, and frankly,

it's a pretty mature technology. The different brands are not terribly

different from one another.

And the Ergo is not particularly different in what it does. It is,

however, terrifically different in how it does it. The Ergo CCTV is

designed to be ergonomic, and it is adjustable.

It is one of the great ironies of CCTVs that everyone focuses on the

screen...but not on the reader's body position while viewing the screen.

The Ergo does both.

The ERGO can be positioned so that people do not have neck and back

strain from using it. (Try it some time; most CCTVs put your neck in a

very uncomfortable position.) Also, the tray on which the book/paper

rests is very smooth. There are never complaints about the "sea

sickness" that some CCTVs can give you.

I have been told by a number of people that using the Ergo is the most

comfortable reading experience they have ever had with a CCTV.

Low vision participants at our trainings all rave about it, and in a

number of cases, folks have gone back to their campuses and ordered one

for their workstations.

You can buy it with extra large wheels, which make it very easy to wheel

from place to place as needed--even over cobblestone-type tiles.

It can be a tad hard to find a U.S. distributor for the Ergo, as the

manufacturer (Rehan) is in Ireland, but here is one:

http://www.atkratter.com/mags/ergo/ergo.htm

And, no, they do not pay me. It's just rare that I find a product of

this type that I can so whole-heartedly recommend! ;-)

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
High Tech Center Training Unit of the
California Community Colleges
De Anza College, Cupertino, CA