[Athen] question of accommodating student with RMI

James Bailey jbailey at uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 30 20:38:04 PDT 2007

Hi Howard,
We had a grad student with a similar situation a few years back and she used Naturally Speaking with great success. She used on a laptop and took it into the field etc. I'd recommend it to your student, but he may not go for it.

James

--
James Bailey
Adaptive Technology Access Adviser, University of Oregon
jbailey at uoregon.edu

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:16:37 -0600, Howard Kramer <Howard.Kramer at Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> Hello All:

> Here’s an interesting case that came up. A graduate

student who recently started in a Humanities program on campus states that he
cannot use a computer keyboard – though he can hand write. Even a short
time a computer keyboard will exacerbate his RMI (carpal tunnel syndrome). He
requested someone to type for him (he needs to answer e-mails as part of his
graduate program, for example) for a number of hours per week. We did not
provide this accommodation. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any
opinions on whether this should be a legally required accommodation?

> Thanks,

> Howard

> Howard Kramer

Assistive