[Athen] question of accommodating student with RMI

Dan Comden danc at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 30 22:51:35 PDT 2007

Certainly speech input as Mr. Bailey indicated is a good starting point.
The technology is vastly improved, esp considered solely from the
perspective of creating text. The learning curve will be worth it for this
student.

Purchasing a powerful tablet PC that can support speech rec. along with
the stylus features, would be much cheaper than hours of pay for a human
keyboarder and should make keyboarding pretty much passe for someone who
is motivated to work independently.

So to answer your question, no I don't think it should be a legally
required accommodation. Existing technology can solve this student's
issues, even if the university purchases the necessary equipment. And if
he's also an employee in terms of being a TA or RA it may be required as
an employment accommodation anyhow.

Of course I'm not a lawyer blah blah blah

-*- Dan