[Athen] Screen readers/other software

Marks, Jim marks at mso.umt.edu
Tue Apr 15 14:08:24 PDT 2008

Hi Susan,

I am having a great day in spite of being called unprofessional for
expressing my opinions. In fact, I cannot restrain myself from offering
more of the same.

You seem to contradict yourself below. On one hand, you said, "The
risks for not doing what needed to be done were far costlier than doing
the right thing to begin with." Then, on the other hand, you said,
"access does not follow advocacy. Advocacy has no place in it at all;
we provide access regardless of the demand, and regardless of the cost."

So you say there is a risk. In your opinion, what exactly is that risk?
I am genuinely interested in your saying more about the motivational
factors involved. I am especially interested in your saying more about
the perceived disconnect between the risk and the access.

Lastly, thank you for your advocacy. I am still not clear what
motivated your advocacy, but it certainly seems effective. Without your
advocacy or without the advocacy of another, the students with
disabilities on your campus surely would not enjoy the access they have
now.

Susan, advocacy has everything to do with access. BTW, Premier still
cannot replace the good stuff, either. (grin)

Jim Marks
Director of Disability Services
University of Montana
jim.marks at umontana.edu