[Athen] Video Relay

Heidi Scher hascherdss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 09:00:44 PDT 2008

Good morning, Wink!

At my previous institution, I set up video relay interpreting at one of our
campuses as a back up in case no interpreter was available. (I covered 4
campuses, and one campus had no interpreters with less than an hour drive.
For an 8:00 a.m. class this was a problem if the interpreter called in sick
in the morning or if the student called in the morning to say she wouldn't
be in class!)

Some "pitfalls": VRI gives only a 2-dimensional representation of a
3-dimension language. This can impact understanding and clarity of
conversation. Also, the size of the screen on which the VRI will be shown
can have a tremendous impact not only on communication, but also eye fatigue
of the viewer. (Bigger than a breadbox is better :-) For shorter
discussions, meetings, relayed phone calls the VRI is great. But for
several back-to-back classes or long classes it would be very fatiguing on
the user. If you're able to find live interpreters for most classes, but
have one class that you can't cover, then VRI might be an option.

The university where I am currenly does not have internet coverage in all
locations, which impacts where we can use VRI. For VRI, you definitely want
a hard line and not wireless access.

Cost comparison will depend upon the pay rate in your area for interpreters
vs the charges from the VRI company. For us, using VRI was going to be
three times the cost per hour vs what the top pay for freelance
interpreters. (This is slowly changing in our state, but very slowly.) Our
contract was for on-demand, last-minute interpreting requests, but they also
gave us an educational institution discount if I recall. If we had planned
on using them to cover a class regularly, it would have been a little
cheaper. (I can't remember exact figures - sorry!)

Service support and availability is something to consider also. How easy is
the company to contact if there's a technical problem? What are their
charges for assistance with on-demand, last-minute technical questions?
What are their hours of operation in comparison to when you might need
service assistance?

If this is additional technology in the classroom, who will be responsible
for setting it up for a class? Who is responsible for securing the
technology when it's not in use? Who will handle problems if there are
technical gliches as class begins or during the class? How willing is the
instructor to work around technology gliches? (Is the instructor someone who
simply continues with the class lecture without regard for the student who
is not receiving the information when the technology is down?)

I worked with a company out of Oregon when I set it up. They were terrific
to work with, would answer lots of questions via email. Charged a specific
rate for initial tech setup (with IT or whomever).

I'm not coming up with any other details right now, but if I do, I'll pass
them along.

Hope this is helpful!!!

Heidi

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Wink Harner <wink.harner at mcmail.maricopa.edu