[Athen] Capturing Information on a Board

Wink Harner wink.harner at mcmail.maricopa.edu
Wed Feb 20 08:05:06 PST 2008

Thanks for the good wishes, E. I tore a tendon in my knee (driving knee no
less!) and had it repaired last week. It's well on the way to mending. I
already have cabin fever, so the recuperation is going along nicely. Will
be back to work and thundering speed next week.

In my poking around, I found some interesting ideas to pursue in re both
smart board & mimio. Both offer a handwriting recognition plug in which would
also allow a projection (PPT etc.) on the board to have comments written
ON it and saved as text rather than images. Don't know how accurate it may
be, but also I found these conversion programs which may help in the process:
Image Converter Plus (appx. $49), Universal Document Converter ($69) and
'Convert Image to PDF' from Softinterface Inc. (free download), the JPEG,
TIFF or GIF files can be converted to PDF and a screen reader can be used.
If the conversion is to text, again there is a choice of refreshable Braille
or hardcopy Braille. I do not know how easy it would be to convert math,
but with MathType and MathSpeak software, it would be a worthy experiment
to find out!

My daffodils are blooming today and I am going to take photos before it rains.

Blessings

Wink

be

>interested to learn how you separate or add text with the images in an

>accessible way from digital white boards unless it is part of the original

>presentation? It is the same dilemma I have been trying to think about

when

>students have OneNote files for organising all their ideas.

>Best wishes E.A.

>Mrs E.A. Draffan

>Learning Societies Lab,

>ECS, University of Southampton,