[Athen] converting foreign language textbooks

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Wed Jan 23 16:49:30 PST 2008

> What is the best way to make a Spanish, French, Italian, etc. book

accessible in an audio format?

> I know that some programs, such as Text Aloud, offer different language

voices. Is this the best approach? Thanks for your assistance.

I don't know if this is the "best" way, but here is another approach using
TextAloud MP3 that we teach in one of the classes at the HTCTU:
How do I change voices within a single article in TextAloud MP3?

As of version 2 of TextAloud MP3, Nextup.com added the ability to change
voices within a document. This is helpful when creating audio from documents
that have more than one language in the text. An example would be a foreign
language textbook where English and another language are intermixed in the
text. The ability to switch voices within a text works only with SAPI 5
compliant voices. To find out which SAPI 5 voices you have installed on your
computer, go to the Options menu, select the Files and Voices Options, and
select Use SAPI 5 to find out what voices are SAPI 5 compliant.

Step 1: Select the location where you want to change voices

While viewing the document in TextAloud MP3, move your cursor to the
location right before you want the voice to be changed.

Step 2: Adding the voice tag to the text

Right click on the cursor and select Insert Voice Change and select the
voice that you want to use. You can also do this by selecting Insert Voice
Change from the Edit menu.

Step 3: Select next location in the text where you want the voice to change

Select the next location in the text where you want the voice to change.
Repeat Step 2.

Take care,

Sean

Sean Keegan
Web Accessibility Instructor
High Tech Center Training Unit of the California Community Colleges