[Athen] help with JAWS 9

Info at Karlen Communications info at karlencommunications.com
Tue Jul 1 11:36:17 PDT 2008

Norm:

You have to have the picture selected in order to have Format Picture appear
in the context menu. If the cursor is to the immediate left or right of the
image, you won't get the context menu for the image when you press the
AppKey.

If you ask JAWS what is selected, it should tell you "slash" or maybe the
filename....could go either way.

If you use Ctrl + Down Arrow to go through the document paragraph by
paragraph the Alt Text will be read if it is applied. If it isn't, you'll
hear "slash." If you use SayAll, the Alt Text is read automatically.

I have the verbosity setting to recognize labeled images turned on. You can
set it to identify all images while editing a document.

If you are adding images to a document, you can press Ctrl + Shift + the
letter O to get a list of objects in a document. This is for JAWS 8 or
later. It was present in 7.2 but is more reliable in 8.

If an image has Alt Text, the Alt Text appears in the list of objects. If it
doesn't the filename should appear, or it may say unlabeled graphic. If it
is the last image you inserted, it will be the last item in the list so will
be easy to find.

If you are using Word 2007 the tab now says "Alt Text" and it is a tool you
can add to the QAT or Quick Access Toolbar so it is easy to find. It has
been moved from "Format Picture" to the Size dialog which is why I recommend
putting it on the QAT...lot easier to use.

Let me know if this worked for you...I may have another strategy.

Cheers, Karen