[Athen] Caption standards

John Foliot - Stanford Online Accessibility Program jfoliot at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 11 15:12:28 PDT 2008

Gaeir Dietrich wrote:

> There is no "official" standard or governing

> body, as there is with Braille, but most folks I have spoken with

> follow the CMP Key.

The ever-poetic Joe Clark had this to say about the CMP guide of 2006:
http://joeclark.org/access/captioning/CMP/

Note - if you are not familiar with Mr. Clark, his writing style can be,
uhm... abrasive at times. None-the-less he does raise some germane issues
and it would be both worthwhile and "complete" if you at least read what he
has to say; Joe is, by most accounts, one of the most knowledgeable
captioning experts in North America, even if he does spend half his day
putting people's noses out of joint.

For what it's worth.

JF