[Athen] web accessibility retrofitting service

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Mon Mar 24 11:20:16 PDT 2008

> Actually, I'm scoping out the development of an accessibility production

> service for our campus, and was wondering whether anyone has done that

somewhere else.

I am not quite sure what you are looking for when you specify an
"accessibility production service", but if you are looking for an example of
such a service on a campus, there is the Badger Accessibility Services at
Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison (http://www.bas.wisc.edu/). I believe they do a
lot of alternate media production, but may serve as just one example (there
are others, I just cannot think of them right now).

> Our faculty are generally not experienced web developers, and there is

interest in

> providing a service that will work with their online course materials and

either redesign

> or retrofit them to be accessible.

In some respects, it sounds like you are looking at an entity to support
faculty in the creation of online materials (that are also accessible).
Instructional designers that also have training in aspects of
accessibility/content usability would be ideal as the designers could direct
faculty during the content creation process. Additionally, such designers
would be versed in using the various campus technologies in such a way that
retrofitting (where possible) would be a simple process.

If possible, I would put this entity outside of a Disabled Student Services
program. You could certainly have dialogue between such program groups, but
I would suggest keeping them separate.

take care,
Sean