[Athen] Save as DAISY XML

Ricky Lee rblee at gw.fis.ncsu.edu
Wed May 7 10:04:49 PDT 2008

http://www.yourdolphin.com/index.asp?id=149

>>> On 5/7/2008 at 12:12 PM, in message

<4821808B020000CF0001E63C at gwmail.mesastate.edu>, "Tom Whalen"
<twhalen at mesastate.edu> wrote:
Hello,
The new release of Microsoft's new plug in has me a bit confused. My
superiors (the ones who think DAISY is a flower) believe
this is an end all solution to our alternate production needs. I am a
bit more cautious. I have become a big fan of Dolphin's Producer and
Publisher, as I use Producer to convert a book a chapter at a time,
because it is easier to train staff and I can also retain the page
numbers, as opposed to building the whole book from scratch in
Publisher.

I need to clarify to administration the difference on what I am doing
now, compared to what I will be able to do with the save as DAISY plug
in. Will I still have to add headings to the average MS Word doc? Will
the plug in do the same thing as Dolphin's Producer? I'm thinking I will
still have to use Publisher to make the entire book into one file. Am I
correct in thinking that the new plug in is for vision impaired users to
take an average MS Word doc and convert it to a DAISY format and that it
is not for use in producing textbooks? I recently increased our licences
of Producer and Publisher and my administrator is now asking why. I
realize this is all new, but I would appreciate any insight on how this
will impact us.

Thanks,

Tom Whalen
Assistant Coordinator