[Athen] RFB&D Downloadable AudioPlus DAISY books

Sandra Sanders SandraS at usca.edu
Mon Apr 27 12:26:29 PDT 2009

USC Aiken has been using RFB&D's AudioPlus download service since we
helped pilot the program last summer. Beginning last fall, only a
partial list of their books was offered in the downloadable format, but
now the entire catalog is available. Downloading instead of ordering by
mail is quite convenient time-wise, but beware of a few catches.
Choosing an MP3 player that will handle the encrypted files is a little
tricky. The player must support: Windows Media version 10 or higher;
playback of subscription-based protected Windows Media content; and
playback of audio at a bit rate of 32 kbps. Biggest drawback -- RFB&D
books cannot be used on an iPOD! Also, be sure of where you want the
book to be accessed; once you download a book and log in to license it,
the book cannot be transferred to another computer. You have the
ability to sync the computer with a single player multiple times, but
you are not able to move the book to another computer. In other words,
if you download the book to a computer in your DS lab, you cannot then
transfer the book to the student's laptop.

I am happy to offer assistance based on my experiences; feel free to
email off-list or give me a call.

Sandra Eargle Sanders
Assistive Technology Center Supervisor
Counseling Center and Disability Services
University of South Carolina Aiken
471 University Parkway, Box 15
Aiken, SC 29801
Tel: 803-641-3609 Fax: 803-641-3677 TTY: 803-643-6818
Email: sandras at usca.edu <mailto:sandras at usca.edu> Web: www.usca.edu/cc
<http://www.usca.edu/cc>