[Athen] Assistive technology plug-ins for Microsoft Word?

Shelley Haven shelley at techpotential.net
Wed Aug 19 02:11:25 PDT 2009

Hi, all!

I'm looking for plug-ins or add-ons to Microsoft Word (Mac or Windows)
that provide it with assistive technology capabilities which are
ordinarily supplied by separate programs. (By "add-on" I mean
something which becomes an integral part of the Word user interface,
like a toolbar, without the need to open another program.) The list
below is what I have so far. What others are you aware of? (I'm sure
I'm missing some obvious ones!)

- Word's built-in Speech toolbar which provides very basic text-to-
speech playback
- Audio Notes toolbar in Word for Mac which synchronizes typed notes
with recorded audio
- WordTalk -- text-to-speech plug-in with highlighting <http://www.wordtalk.org.uk/

- Ginger Software -- contextual spelling and grammar checker <http://www.gingersoftware.com

- Ghotit plug-ins for spellcheck, dictionary, and text-to-speech <http://www.ghotit.com