[Athen] EASI: Planning a 4-part Webinar series on social media and accessibility

Prof Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:56:51 PDT 2009

I am looking for helpers and for ideas. EASI provides Webinars on a
variety of topics. Social media is so popular that we need to address it
........ ..... ....... ......

First I need to confess that I have deliberately tried to avoid social
media and therefore am more ignorant than I should be. I still doubt that
I'll ever become a fan. However, EASI (Equal Access to software and
information) is dedicated to helping people, especially those who are not
technical wizards about technology and accessibility. I admit that I have
been proven wrong as I thought these things would be a short-lived fad and
quickly fade away. I feel it is our responsibility to gather information
on social media, what it is and how it works and especially how it can
function for people with disabilities. So, here I am eating my words and
planning to sponsor a 4-part series of Webinars.

Being more or less ignorant, I am looking for people who know something and
who are somewhat fans of these media.

I approached Jennison Asuncion, Co-Director with the Adaptech Research
Network, to take the lead in planning a series and in locating people who
would be willing to help put on these Webinars.

I am asking him to disseminate this plea for help and to take the helm in
getting the project planned and started. I am picturing 4 hour-long
Webinars starting about mid October and going into mid November ending
before the US Thanksgiving.

Next is which social media should we cover?
Fortunately, I have a good friend, Dr. Denise Wood, from the University of
Southern Australia who has jumped into Second Life working with various
people and exploring ways to make this advanced technology more accessible
for people with all disabilities. She has volunteered to do one of these
Webinars which leaves us 3 others to decide on and plan.

I assume we want to cover Twitter, Myspace, facebook, maybe Linkedin and
blogs. I need advice. Can some of these be merged into a single
presentation? Which ones would best fit together if we do that? Would we
want to include youtube in the series or is it different enough to leave
out? Would it merit a single Webinar of its own?

Please interact with Jennison at jennison at adaptech.org Suggest format
ideas. Volunteer for some part of the series. Norm Coombs
CEO EASI
Professor Emeritus RIT.