[Athen] System Access by Serotek

Melanie Thornton mpthornton at ualr.edu
Tue Dec 1 14:31:46 PST 2009

Thank you both, Al and Ron. Good to know. Very helpful!

Melanie

Al Puzzuoli wrote:

> Over all, there are some areas in which Jaws is still more functional

> than System access; but having said that, I believe that System Access

> has actually surpassed jaws in terms of web browsing with Internet

> Explorer.

> If your student will primarily be working on web based systems, and

> using Microsoft Word to write papers, etc, then System Access should

> be more than sufficient. If the student has had extensive experience

> with Jaws in the past, then I would advise purchasing the Eloquence

> option for System Access, at a cost of an additional

> $25.00. Eloquence is the synthesizer used by Jaws, and often,

> transitioning to a new speech synthesizer can be as difficult, if not

> more so than transitioning to an entirely new screen reader.

> Al Puzzuoli

> Michigan State University

> Information Technologist

> _http://www.rcpd.msu.edu_ <http://www.rcpd.msu.edu/>

> <_http://www.rcpd.msu.edu/_>

> Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities

> 120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI 48824-1033

> 517-884-1915

Melanie Thornton
Director, Project PACE
Associate Director, Disability Resource Center
2801 S. University Ave., DSC #103
Little Rock, Arkansas 72204
501.650.2239 (cell)
501.569.8240 (fax)
501.569.3217 (tty)

Websites:
http://ualr.edu/pace
http://ualr.edu/disability

We want your comments!
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=92u46bPPSZa2tyMqiGGTgQ_3d_3d>

AIM: MelanieatUALR

This message contains information which may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. Please be aware that filing this email in
publicly accessible records, or any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of the contents of this message is prohibited.