[Athen] Elluminate - accessibile or not?

Hadi Rangin hadi at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 25 07:52:10 PST 2009

I have never done any formal study or evaluation on Eluminate but I have
tried to use it for a few times in the past years.
Based on these limited experience, the menus were not accessible, the audio
controls were not accessible either and I was not able to locate the browser
environment.
It took control over my audio system and I lost my screen reader (Jaws) and
every time I ended up crashing my system.
The most interesting experience was as I turned down my build-in audio
volume control on my keyboard. As soon as it reached the 0%, it stopped
there and you couldn't raise the volume up anymore. I had to ask a sighted
person to increase it with the mouse.
Sounds pretty accessible!!! Right? :)

I am pretty sure that most of you are familiar with Talking Communities
system. It is a lightweight web conferencing tool, easy to install and use,
accessible built-in browser, accessible chat system, and many nice features.
BTW, it is also very cheap.
I think Steve Hoffmann should promote this application more aggressively.

http://talkingcommunities.com

Hadi