[Athen] Dragon on a netbook

Nettie Fischer nettiet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 22:45:25 PDT 2009

Good evening,

I have an Acer Aspire with 1 Gig RAM and 160 G harddrive.and I have
installed DNS 10.1

I did it to test the computer and was pleasantly surprised. I used a
Logitech USB headmic and the recognition was pretty darn good. I had not
problems establishing a voice profile and when I dictated and used vice
commands, the accuracy rate was very good. Since I did it as a test run, I
cannot comment on long term use - just the trial runs with solid accuracy
and document navigating with voice commands. Ed, I cannot comment on full
time use of DNS on the netbook, only the test run that I gave it - I will
give a little workout this summer to see if it serves as a functional option
for more a rigorous user.

I also installed Kurzweil, Clicker 4, BoardMaker and SD Pro, TextAloud,
Read Naturally, Word 2007, Writing with Symbols--- and probably more little
programs.

I was amazed that the system not only installed all the software but
actually was able to use the software as it was intended to be used. The
one thing I noticed was that the installation process was slow - so, I
didn't expect it to run as well as it did. --

I installed my HP Officeject Pro L7780 software and scanned papers into
Kurzweil and was able to add text boxes, and added text too. <grin>

I must say that I wanted to add another Gig of Ram on my Acer Aspire but
when I looked at a video how to on YouTube, I decided against it. I did
talk to Acer Support and they said the system can have an addtional 1 Gig
Ram added - but for my needs, it looked like a little too much work.

I did check to make sure that I purchased the second generation with the
right/left mouse click pad located below the mouse pad (not on the sides)
and the system is the 10" screen with the Lithium 6 ion battery. I have
used the system to test the time usage and have had power for about 6 1/2
hours with no problems. Oh yes, I did already own a sony external DVD/RW
drive and that is a need be since netbooks do not have an internal CD ROM
drive.

Hope this is helpful --

Oh yes, I purchased it at Costco and did have an issue with the wireless
internet access but, I dont think it was the Acer system. I was out of town
and the hotel had internet access that was popping on and off - when I
tried to log on it woudl crash and the management was having trouble with
access on their own computers. I think their crashing messed up the IP
address; I'm not too techie in that area, but think that is/was the problem
- there were 3 IP addresses - all with different last three digits - Acer
said it was my server, my server said it should be working but could not
explain the different IP addresses - the system log said that 'the computer
has lost the lease to its IP address -- ..... etc., All I know was that I
couldn't log on. Returned the system to Costco and got a quick exchange,
just asked than why I was returning it. The good news is that the cosst
had been reduced by $20 since I purchased it 6 weeks ago. Good tech
support from acer, because the system was under the 90 day warranty, they
suggested I send it in for them to make the necessary fixes.

I felt better about just exchanging for a new system but, now I need to
reinstall my software -- Pooh!

Nettie Fischer

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Ricky Lee <ricky_lee at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone attempted to run Dragon on a netbook? If so, what was the

> performance like?

> Thank you,

> Ricky Lee

> Assistant Director & Coordinator of Assistive Technology

> Disability Services Office

> NC State University

> Phone: 919-513-3556

> TTY: 919-515-8830