[Athen] question about PDF OCR

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Mon Jun 22 09:40:13 PDT 2009

Norm, I use the Microsoft Document Image Writer. It is one of the tools
bundled with MS Office. You can use it in one of two ways.

* Import a PDF into MSDIW and in the tools menu, export to MS Word. If
it needs to be OCR'ed, MSDIW will just do it for you. I have found the
OCR to be pretty good.

*Print from Acrobat Reader to the MSDIW pseudo-printer that should be in
your printer driver list. This will produce a file in MSDIW format.
Open it and then go to the tools menu and follow the steps listed above.

I have an old full Acrobat on my computer, and MSDIW uses it when
importing. If you have only Acrobat Reader, the first method might not
work - I just don't know. But the second way does work with Acrobat Reader.

Enjoy.

John